Monday, November 7, 2011

Needing More Experimentation Time


November 7, 2011


When the expected skill level of the students is not the reality what do you do? You extend the media experimentation time.

Students need time to experiment with various media before they can choose which to use to express their idea.  My Advanced Art class continued their paint media exploration today.  I’m working the curriculum I wrote last year, but that curriculum was written for the advanced art student.  I have a split class this year.  The students who had me for Art III are prepared for the level of instruction and art creation expected from an advanced student.  But a have at least 1/3rd of the class that does not have either the artistic skill or the creative skills that they should have in this type of course.  So I am having to rethink my expectations and approach to instruction.  I had not planned on spending 2 weeks in exploring watercolor, acrylic and oil.  Rather, the plan was to go straight to oil.  I have too many students in this class that don’t understand paint enough to begin a painting in oil.  What I’ve decided to do is allow time for experimentation in the three painting media and then allow students to choose which one they are most comfortable with to create their final artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment